IT’S TRUE, EXERCISE MAKES YOU SMARTER TOO
We used to think that if you wanted to grow your brain you learned a musical instrument or another language. But, as renowned neuro-psychiatrist John Ratey explains, the science now shows conclusively that being fit is as good for your mind as your muscles.
AT A GLANCE: EXERCISE AND THE BRAIN
- Exercise improves blood and oxygen flow to the brain, as well as the brain’s chemistry.
- Exercise boosts the brain’s attention, memory and motivation systems.
- It’s only since 1999 that we’ve known humans keep making new brain cells throughout life, and exercise is key to this.
- Exercise influences the brain’s “flight or fight” response; fit people don’t stress out as much as others.
- Exercise is a form of psycho-therapy; it helps people become masters of their own fate.
- Being fit reduces cravings for everything, including the need to check your phone!
- If you exercise you will learn quicker and better.
- Need more proof? Einstein was a keen walker, cyclist and sailor – he was fit!